Whilst we enjoy the last vestiges of summer, it is not too long before we will see the evenings drawing in and the summer wardrobe being packed away. The change in seasons will see more lighting being used, the heating turned on, and energy bills rise in many businesses across the UK.
Taking action now could boost your profits
According to the Carbon Trust a 20% cut in energy costs represents the same bottom line benefit as a 5% increase in sales for many businesses. And yet, investment in energy efficiency does not always get airtime in the boardroom or find its way to the top of the management in-tray given the day to day business pressures. So here are 7 business energy facts from the Carbon Trust you should know.
- Heating typically accounts for about half of the energy used in offices.
- Heating costs rise by about 8% for every 1°C of overheating.
- Heating costs can increase by 30% or more if the boiler is poorly operated or maintained.
- Lighting in a typical office costs about £3/m2 annually, but in most efficient offices only costs about £1/m2.
- On average, 20% of the total energy bill in commercial offices is accounted for by office equipment – about half of this use stems from PCs and monitors. Simply switching computers off at nights and weekends can reduce energy consumption by 75%.
- Motors in the factory/warehouse can consume their purchase price in energy costs in just a few weeks!
- Compression air system leakage of 20% – 50% is not uncommon.
Whilst there are many quick, simple and low costs measures that businesses can take to reducing their energy consumption (and there are numerous tips available for these from the Carbon Trust, your energy supplier and others), adopting a strategic approach to energy consumption will inevitably yield the biggest savings. The starting point here is to TAKE CONTROL and identify WHERE, WHEN and HOW your energy is being consumed and, most importantly, wasted. Having data and analysis that can be provided through the installation of specialist energy monitoring equipment combined with in-depth site surveys can provide you with the data you need to make changes that will typically reduce energy consumption by 30% – 50% (and sometime more!).
If you want to boost profits through consuming less energy, why not contact us to find out more about our Energy Management Surveys. For a no obligations conversation, please contact us through our website here or call us on 01225 635660.