WHAT IS ESOS?
The Energy Saving Opportunity Scheme is a mandatory assessment and energy saving identification scheme. The aim is to cut carbon emissions by requiring large businesses to identify energy reduction measures and make energy savings. The scheme affects up to 10,000 UK organisations. The criteria for inclusion to ESOS are large companies that employ at least 250 people and/or have an annual turnover of 50 million euros or over and an annual balance sheet total of over 43 million euros.
HOW TO COMPLY WITH ESOS:
Organisations were required to submit information for Phase 1 of ESOS by 29th January 2016. The regulations require large UK organisations to take three important steps before the compliance date of 5th December 2019:
– Measure your business total energy consumption.
– Conduct energy audits to identify energy efficiency and energy management opportunities.
– Evaluate opportunities – Energy audit reports need to be signed off at board level.
IMPLICATIONS IF NOT COMPLYING:
– There’s a fixed penalty of up to £5000 if you don’t comply
– You can be charged an additional £40,000 in daily penalties for failure to notify compliance.
– The non compliance will also be made public
– Further discretionary penalties apply
BENEFITS OF ESOS
– Companies can save money and power through lower energy consumption.
– Energy efficiency can improve overall product quality
– Harmonising the energy balance
– Improved compressed air supply
– Improving working conditions
HOW CAN WE HELP
SMARTech energy has a team of dedicated energy consultants and lead assessors to support and guide you through the process, in essence we can take care of ESOS for you and let you get on with your day job. The aim of ESOS is to get businesses to reduce energy consumption and we have a programme which fits perfectly for this where we act as your part time energy manager, using our team of experts to collate the facts and data to help your organisation make informed decisions.
Using the Smart Energy Management Service (SEMS) it enables SMARTech energy to act as an ongoing energy partner. Through the deployment of in-depth minute by minute energy monitoring equipment across your buildings it enables identification us to collate the data ahead of the next reporting date. In the first round of ESOS one of the most time consuming parts of getting all the billing together with our clients, by using monitoring we only need sample bills not 12 months worth for your whole estate. There are many other benefits of using our SEMS programme ad monitoring equipment, for more details on this click here – Smart Energy Management Service (SEMS).