What is ESOS?
The Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) is a mandatory energy assessment and energy saving identification scheme. ESOS came into operation for large undertakings (and their corporate groups) in December 2014. The scheme applies throughout the UK.
Am I in scope of ESOS?
You were likely to be in scope of ESOS if, on the qualification date (31 December 2014 for the first phase of ESOS), you are:
1. An undertaking which has 250 or more employees in the UK.
2. An undertaking which has fewer than 250 employees, but has:
– an annual turnover exceeding €50m and
– a balance sheet exceeding €43m.
3. Part of a corporate group which includes an undertaking which meets criteria (1) or (2) above.
Organisations subject to the public contracts regulations 2006 are exempt from the scheme
What do I have to do to comply with ESOS?
In simple terms, an ESOS Assessment requires participants to do three things:
- Measure your business total energy consumption (electric, gas, transport & production).
- Conduct energy audits to identify energy efficiency and energy management opportunities.
- Evaluate opportunities – Energy audit reports needs to be signed of at board level
If you fall into the criteria above, you are required to report compliance to the Environment Agency (as the scheme administrator) by 5 December 2015 and then every 4 years and store the ESOS data. However, to implement savings and further disclosure is voluntary.
A few important points to note are:-
- The scheme has been developed to enable in house team members with the correct knowledge and skills to carry out some of the energy auditing and then to work with “Certified lead auditors” to create an effective and compliant energy audit. This will also help to give you assurance that savings identified are accurate, real and achievable.
- The audits must cover 90% of all energy activity – this covers your electric, gas, transport and industrial processes energy use.
- f you have already conducted energy audits, for instance as part an existing scheme or for the ISO 50001, Display Energy Certificates or Green Deal assessments this can be used, as long as it falls into the relevant compliance period.
The scheme is currently designed to carry out energy audits and report them. At present there is no commitment to implementing energy saving measures to reduce energy wastage. But why would organisations not implement energy saving measures when it is evident it is going to significantly reduce running costs?
SMARTech energy can work with your organisation as a lead ESOS assessor to ensure you are legislatively compliant and then to specify solutions to meet your requirements. Further, SMARTech energy can supply, install & project manage the energy saving measures enabling you and your staff to continue doing what you are specialist in, whilst SMARTech energy do what we are specialists at – delivery quantifiable energy saving.
Even better what if we could finance the energy saving project and make it cash positive? Well SMARTech energy can offer this as we work closely with the Carbon Trust and Siemens finance to do just that. Call us today on 0845 647 6278 or contact us through the website to get started.