COMPLIANCE DEADLINE FOR THIRD COMPLIANCE PERIOD: 31 DECEMBER 2022
Energy Saving Opportunity Scheme (ESOS)
Manage energy, comply with regulations and cut your energy costs
Implementing recommendations from an ESOS audit could reduce an organisation’s annual energy costs by 20% or more.
ESOS Phase 3 Compliance is a mandatory Government energy efficiency scheme targeted at all large UK companies.
What is ESOS?
Launched in 2014, ESOS is a mandatory energy assessment scheme and is the UK Government’s response to the implementation of Article 8 of the EU Energy Efficiency Directive – designed to support energy efficiency measures in the UK’s commercial and industrial sectors.
The Criteria for ESOS
The scheme affects organisations that employ at least 250 people – or those that employ less than 250 people – but who achieve an annual turnover in excess of £44m and an annual balance sheet in excess of £38m.
Extension to Phase 3 Compliance Deadline*
In order for organisations to meet the new requirements of ESOS and for assessors to carry out assessments, ESOS participants do not need to submit their notification for compliance until the 5th June 2024 (previously the date was 5th December 2023).
Whilst the compliance deadline date has been extended, the qualification threshold and date remain unchanged. ESOS still applies to all organisations (and their corporate groups) that were classed as large undertaking on 31st December 2022.
Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) and Streamlined Energy and Carbon Reporting (SECR) – What’s the difference?
ESOS is separate to the new streamlined energy and carbon reporting (SECR) framework which came into force on 1 April 2019 through The Companies (Directors’ Report) and Limited Liability Partnerships (Energy and Carbon Report) Regulations 2018.
Many of the organisations who meet the criteria of ESOS will also have SECR obligations which apply to all quoted companies, large unquoted companies and large limited liability partnerships and require disclosure in annual reports of energy, emissions and energy efficiency action taken.
Systems in place to collect and audit energy use to meet ESOS obligations and progress with implementation of ESOS recommendations can help organisations to meet SECR requirements.
More information on the ESOS eligibility criteria
You must take part in ESOS if your undertaking is part of a worldwide corporate group which includes another UK undertaking that meets either of the above conditions.
Approved ESOS Lead Assessor
As an approved ESOS Lead Assessor, SMARTech energy are only one of approximately 1,000 firms in the UK who are qualified to help businesses and organisations to achieve ESOS compliance; offering site surveys, energy analysis and monitoring to identify energy consumption and cost saving opportunities.
The benefits of going through ESOS Compliance
- Adhere to legislative requirements
- Failure to comply with ESOS could result in civil penalties.
- Meet CSR and Environmental commitments
Our experience has shown that going beyond the mandatory environmental compliance makes for a compelling business case.
Are you looking to reduce energy bills?
Implementing effective cost energy saving projects can reduce an organisation’s annual energy costs by 20% or more and with the need to protect the environment, together with rising energy costs – the offer of a financial return further contributes to an organisation’s sustainability objective.
The Road to Compliance
- The consultancy starts with an initial assessment which leads to a full review of available energy data across an organisation’s site.
- Using energy monitoring equipment, the system tracks an organisation’s energy consumption remotely, minute by minute and identifies driving factors affecting energy efficiency.
- Our team then conduct an energy audit to identify cost effective energy efficiency and energy management opportunities.
- SMARTech energy consultancy prepare an Energy Management Survey report which substantiates the audit, it’s findings and recommendations.
- Our team prepare a report of compliance to the Environmental Agency.
- ESOS reports are included with Energy Efficiency-as-a-Service. Energy Efficiency as a Service (EEaaS) is the CapEx free solution to implementing an energy reduction programme and includes audits for legislation purposes such as Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) and Streamlined Energy and Carbon Reporting (SECR)
Why choose SMARTech energy?
As an approved ESOS Lead Assessor, our experience has shown that significant energy savings can be identified through the ESOS process. For more information on how we can make your organisation compliant and identify costs savings, contact us now.
We would be delighted to discuss how we can be of assistance.
If you have a questions or would like more information then please complete this form and we will be in contact.